Tips for Taking Medications
The tips below can help you stick with your
• Don’t change your dosage or stop taking any
Notes for Family and Friends:
Starting to take medication for diabetes can be a big step. Your family
member with diabetes might feel sad or angry about having to take
medication. You can make this change easier by helping with the tips
of your medications, even if you are feeling
better! Always talk to your health care
• Refill your prescriptions before they run out.
Check the brand and dosage to make sure
they are correct.
• Prepare a small travel kit (see page 59) so
you can take your medications with you
everywhere you go.
• Call your health care provider right away if
you notice any side effects. But don’t stop
taking your medications unless told to do so.
• Ask family or friends for help if you are
having trouble remembering to take your
• Make filling out your daily schedule part of
your routine. Ask a family member to help
you stay organized.